Chaos at work is a serious problem, according to today’s guest blogger. To improve employee efficiency, Joe Baker recommends a five-point strategy.
The world today requires company owners and business managers to constantly be thinking of new, better, more innovative ways to run a business. Time is money — a lot of money — so it is important that all employees are using their time wisely. In order to do this, a business has to be proactive about being efficient as well. Employees must be given the tools and resources necessary in order to maximize their productivity during the workday. The following tips are five ways that a company can become more efficient, ultimately saving time and money, resulting in a better, more successful business overall.
1. Utilize Cloud Computing. Cloud computing platforms, such as those offered by VMWare, allow businesses to give their employees access on the go. Using cloud networks, employees can store important documents and information in the cloud — and subsequently, they can access those documents, apps and other files from any mobile device, be it a laptop, smart phone, PC or tablet computer. Cloud computing is a great first step in eliminating chaos, because an employee no longer has to worry about whether they have the right device in order to access an important business document. One of the cloud’s selling points is its efficiency with regard to energy consumption; less energy used powering in-house servers means a lower power bill. Collaboration in the cloud ideally increases productivity, and the ability of the cloud to host huge, processor-intensive applications (i.e. Photoshop) and let people log in to access those programs without having to have local installs on each machine greatly increases efficiency in the workflow.
2. Reduce Travel. Asking employees to travel out of state or internationally for business meetings and sales calls is costly and time consuming. Time spent on the road usually amounts to time wasted, time that could be better spent working and being productive. By utilizing new technology, such as video conferencing and video calls, companies can then reduce the amount of time their employees spend traveling. Not only will this save time and money, but it likely will make employees happier as well.
3. Improve Customer Communications. When customers are happier, business is more successful as a whole, and the whole operation is more efficient. By implementing networks that immediately pull up a customer’s history, previous projects, comments and complaints, any employee is able to quickly acquaint themselves with customers and properly address their concerns.
4. Link the Phone System. Keeping employees in the loop and within reach is essential to a business running at maximum efficiency. By upgrading the business phone system so that all phones are linked, an employee can easily be reached whether he or she is out on a sales call, driving into the office or simply away from their desk. Ensure that all cell phones and desktop lines are linked together to maximize this feature.
5. Develop a long-term technology plan. Even once you have implemented new technology into the office, it is important to recognize that there will always be new, better, more efficient technology on the horizon. Being prepared and planning for new technology to come is essential. Develop a technology planning group that will help determine what the latest and greatest technology is, how that technology will benefit the business as a whole, and how much the company is willing to invest into the new technology. Keeping abreast of the latest technology is essential in being a success in the global economy of today.
By implementing just a few of these simple steps, a business manager will quickly find that employees are more satisfied at their jobs and they are increasing their productivity. Eliminating chaos in the workplace is as simple as following a few steps, and giving employees the resources to do their jobs to the best of their ability. Cloud computing networks allow employees to access documents and important information no matter where they are or what device they have, and a long-term technology plan allows businesses to keep up with the changing times. At the end of the day, efficiency is the key to success when it comes to business.