Want to hire a speaker? There’s a right way to do it. But chances are if you haven’t hired speakers before, you may not be aware of the most important steps.
The easiest way to think about the right way to hire a speaker is to consider the following six essential questions about your event:
- How far in the future am I willing to plan?
- Who and how many people will be in the audience?
- What’s happening with the audience before and after I need the speaker?
- What is the main purpose of the speaker’s presentation: inspiration, education, entertainment, or facilitation?
- What is my budget for the event, in hard cost and opportunity cost?
- Do I just need a speaker, or do I need event marketing and event support?
Through a series of upcoming blog posts, we’re going to look at each of these questions in detail. But before we start that process, we’ll explain the key function of having a presentation at any event:
A speaker creates a shared experience that builds upon a larger theme.
No matter what type of organization you are or what your audience is like, by bringing someone in to talk you are asking those assembled to pay attention. You have a big picture in mind, and that speaker is there to help deliver that message.
Watch this space for more on hiring speakers!